Monday 5 September 2011

Hi. Remember me?


I hadn't realised it had been a whole month since I last posted. I knew it was a long time, but I didn't realise I had let the whole of August go by without posting anything at all.

And it's not like nothing's been happening. I haven't just been sitting around with my feet up. I've been putting my back into it all - much like these guys. Well perhaps not like these guys, but in my own version of working hard, it's a close run thing.

There's been plenty to write about, just not enough time/free space to do the writing in I guess. What with visiting relatives (Big sis and the Wee Guy, sadly now finished the UK section of their holiday and on their way back home via a short stop over in Amsterdam - capital city number 5 for the intrepid duo!!), work (general mega chaos with added failure to organise a summer break and a last minute study visit to Sweden thrown in) and running (maximum distance run now 18 miles and with only 3 weeks to go to the marathon, I am now officially tapering down), there's not been a quiet moment. So - my loyal readers - I apologise and promise to try to do better for the rest of the year.


One of my resolutions for this year was to blog more regularly but that hasn't really worked out. There's a number of reasons - some are to do with the general busy-ness outlined above, others are to do with a strange malaise that came over me this year. Having set out to change a whole heap of things in my life - work, home, me - I guess I'm feeling I'm not doing that well.

And, as some readers will know, at times like that my hermit instinct takes over. I withdraw and decide that the world doesn't need to be inflicted with my self absorbed ramblings.

I know I'm being hard on myself - no, really I am! I have achieved a lot already this year - and while I may still be in the same job, living in the same flat and with no realistic prospect of an improvement in my love life in the offing, I am far more sane than I was at the start of the year. I've dealt with some shitty stuff and come through the other end, changed my hairstyle (the two are not unconnected!), started looking for somewhere new to live, learned new stuff - particularly all things broadband and I am now fluent in Geek, visited new places - Shetland and (almost) the Arctic Circle, and made new friends (again, the two are not entirely unconnected!).



I've pushed myself further physically than I've ever pushed myself before and proved that I can do endurance - let's hope it works on 2nd October. Bizarrely, I've even managed to put on weight while doing it - I think I'm perhaps too successful at the carb loading aspect of it all. And, while I really don't like the added weight concept, I am forced to admit that I look and feel better for it. Is sanity is connected to weight?

So, all in all, while I might think I haven't posted because I think I'm a mess, when I sit down and think about it, I'm not really. I'm actually quietly, in my own corner, doing ok. And that's pretty good really. I'm pleased with that.

No comments: