Monday 17 October 2011

Going solo


Travelling solo can be great fun. It can be a real adventure. You don't have to cater for anyone else's tastes and you can go at your own pace. If you change your mind, you can just change your plans without needing to negotiate a compromise. If you don't fancy the must see sights at a particular destination, you don't need to be bothered with them. You are your own constraint and your own freedom.

But it can have it's down-side too. There's practical things like not being able to have the special dish (for 2 people minimum), like not being easily able to explore the further flung locations because you're on your own and it's just not safe enough, like not being able to savour the full city experience of a place after dark. There's also emotional things like not having anyone to share your discoveries with, to laugh at the misunderstood phrases, to wonder at the arrogance of your fellow tourists, to help find that well hidden gem that's just off the beaten track, to reassure that it will be alright.

Would I prefer to have company on my holidays? On the whole, yes I probably would. Am I picky about who that company is? Absolutely. I felt myself react with horror to the suggestion of booking a group tour some time. Me, and a whole group of strangers? Having to get along with each other? What a nightmare! But equally, the right person might just be the icing on the cake for the amazing adventures I have on my own.

But until then, I'm not going to let it stop me. I'm going to keep travelling, having adventures, seeing little bits more of the wonderful world that we're lucky to have. And I'm going to keep sharing it with you, my virtual companions, my fellow travellers, my friends.

1 comment:

Just Frances said...

I understand oh-so-well what you mean! And, as I've said before, I envy that you are courageous enough to go it alone on a holiday. I couldn't--not even on a (dread the thought!) group tour. BUT, I am working on forcing myself on site-seeing day trips solo. And maybe, one day, I'll manage to take myself out for a solo dinner. (We'll see.)

I suppose the nice thing is that going out solo is better than staying in solo. And if gives you the chance to meet like-minded travellers who may later become your travel partners!

(Every new day is a new opportunity for all sorts of great things!)