Thursday 10 February 2011

It's a cat's life


As regular readers will know, I recently acquired a new cat. New to me, that is. Cat (he still doesn't have a proper name and seems to be settling quite nicely into Cat - good enough for Audrey Hepburn, good enough for me!) is 10 years old and has had a whole life before he joined me. And it appears he was completely babied in that former life. One of his endearing habits is a constant desire to nuzzle. One of his less endearing habits is pushing his face into mine and wiping his nose on me, usually in the morning when I'm still half awake and not able to defend myself!!

In one short week, however, Cat has wormed his way fully into my life. I'd forgotten how lovely it was to have someone waiting for you when you get home, someone how needs (and kneads, in Cat's case) you to look after them and who offers you love and affection in return. Whoever said that a house without a cat can never be a home was spot on.

Apart from a brief period when I was at University and just after, there's always been a cat around my home. Miss Kitty and her 'brother' Kab joined me when I lived in Bristol and stayed with me for most of the next 2 decades. Before that were the cats of my childhood - Tuppence, Dinah, Moggie, Tao, Hammy, and Riley (briefly). Wherever I was there was also a cat (or two) - so now it feels like equilibrium has been restored and once again my pleasant house is filled with fur, to paraphrase.

Coincidentally, at the weekend I heard a piece on the radio about the Scottish Wildcat and the fact that it is now an endangered species due to hybridisation with domestic and feral cats. It reminded me that much as we love our cats, we also have a responsibility to ensure that they don't damage the environment around us - whether that's urban or rural. The best thing that any cat owner can do in this regard, is make sure their pet is neutered. Unless you're going to breed from your cat (and if it's not a pedigree, why would you?), it really is kinder, safer and more responsible.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with these thoughts:

"You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."
- George Mikes from "How to be decadent
"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
- Mary Bly

"Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them."
- Jim Davis

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown

And also this one - did you know that there's an award winning cat photographer - as in a cat that takes photographs, not a photographer of cats. Thanks to Barbara for the heads up on that one!

No comments: