Friday 31 December 2010

Rear view


Well, it's that time of year again when it's the done thing to look back at what's been and reflect on it. Far be it for me to disappoint, so here goes...

Actually this year's reflective post has been made all the easier thanks to my best (so far) Christmas present of the year - a complete print out of my 2010 blog courtesy of my fabulous big sis. Reading through the last 12 months worth of my rambling has been an interesting experience - of which more in a moment.

But first I can't resist a short diversion into late Christmases - one of the added benefits of my Canadian Christmas visits is an extended festive season. I hoof it across to Canada, celebrate the joyous day with my sister and her family and then head back to Scotland after New Year to repeat the experience with my mum and dad. Et voila, a 3-4 week Christmas; second only to my birthday month festivities induced entirely by my lack of annual real birthdays.

But I digress. You wanted to hear about 2010. And if you didn't, you should have stopped reading by now because that's what you're about to get.

Looking back, 2010 has been a year of mixed emotions for me (again). I've had lots of fun - with great holidays in Canada, Wales and Spain as well as some great days out in and around home. I've also had some not so good days, although far less than last year mercifully. As regular readers will know, I'm still struggling at times to come to terms with being on my own.

In amongst the angst, however, I've still had time to make some new discoveries, have some fresh experiences and achieve some great things. I've:
I've also reconnected with old friends, re-learned lost skills and remembered good memories. I've also found time to focus on what is good about life, blog about some amazing people and generally be glad to be alive.

Looking back at things I commented on this time last year, I still haven't found a new feline companion or a permanent home. But on the plus side, I do still have my job - which, on the whole, isn't bad -  amazing friends, supportive family and (for the most part) my health.

For 2010 I resolved to have a quieter, less eventful time and to be less high maintenance. The former is undoubtedly true, but I'm not so sure about the latter. I think I've learned to live and laugh a bit more, to take a few more risks and to act my shoe size rather than my age just that bit more often. In short, I think I might just be picking more daisies these days!

And 2011? Well, you'll need to wait until tomorrow to find out my plans for that...

All that remains to say for 2010 is, thanks for reading my ramblings. Keep up the good work, you're all doing very well.

No comments: