Tuesday 15 November 2011

Gorillas and cheese


Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis

It was a dream I had last week
And some kind of record seemed vital
I knew it wouldn't be much of a poem
But I love the title.

                                                  Wendy Cope

Now that I start this post, I find I'm really not quite sure what to write about. You see I had a bit of a Wendy Cope moment the other day while I was talking to a friend. The post title came to me and it seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. But now I'm not really sure what to use it for.

I guess I could write about mis-heard lyrics - although what Gorillias and Cheese could have been mis-heard from I don't know. But then again, I don't think I could ever got 'a ship called Christmas Day' from Deacon Blue's Dignity either!

Or maybe the post could be about made up band names - a game I used to play with an old friend. But now I come to think about that, most of the ones I can remember were only really appropriate for death metal/punk bands and therefore not suitable for family viewing on this little blog.

Incidentally, hats off to the nephew of my partner in crime, the awesome Just Frances. He's had a band called the Blast-ended Skrewts for a number of years now, and he's not even left his teens yet. Way to go, boy - seems like awesomeness runs in the family!

But none of them really work, if I'm honest. So instead I think I'll just follow Wendy Cope's advice and revel in the gloriousness of the title.

Of course, what I really need to know now, however, is which blasted gorillia ate my damned cheese?

No comments: