Thursday 24 November 2011

Romantic notions


As a great philosopher once said, What's love got to do with it?

This blog post has been in my head for a few days now but there's been so much going on that it kept getting pushed out. But now, I'm back in the flat at a reasonable time for a change and I can finally sit down to write it.

It's a strange word and concept, romance. Mention it and most people will think of the Mills & Boon, roses and chocolates version. Love, coupledom, moonlight and flowers.

But that's not what prompted me to think about it. No, it was other meanings that lead me to this post. I was listening to the radio and they were announcing the fixtures for the next round of the Scottish cup. One of the presenters commented, Ah yes, the romance of the Cup - meaning the time when the smaller clubs get the chance to play and win against the 'big boys'.

And seeing as I've been spending much of my time in Callander this week, I was reminded of another version - the Trossachs being the birthplace of modern tourism, spurred on by Sir Walter Scott and his romanticisation of the Scottish highlands 200 years ago.

Thinking about what do these two different meanings have in common? Well, they're both about fantastical or unrealistic views of the world and life. And is that what we do when we get into all that love stuff? Do we just leave our common sense at the door and allow ourselves to get carried away with non-sensical notions?

Or am I just a bit jaded by my not particularly successful attempts at it so far? Much as it terrifies me (no, really, it does!), and despite my crippling lack of success so far, fool that I am, I'd quite like the opportunity to find out the answer to that question. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, sometime soon I'll find a frog to kiss. Or maybe even a dolphin!

2 comments:

Lynne McNeil said...

Can't offer you any tips on the romantic front, as it took me long enough to settle down :-)but can only advise that it strikes when you least expect it!

There is romance to be everyday: I feel it when I look out of my third floor window in George Street, Edinburgh and have the most fantastic view of Edinburgh Castle. The romance is in both the view and the history both of the Castle and where I work. Who looked out at this fantastic view 75 or 100 years ago? Think of all the history that has centred around the Castle and the romance and intrigue that surround the place even today!

It's when you can no longer find the romance - and hope - in everyday living that you have to worry.

You can still appreciate the beauty and wonder of the world around you - worry not, the other type of romance will find you! xxx

Bex said...

[A friend of mine sent me this response to my post. It's such a lovely perspective, I thought I should share it with my other readers. Thanks Arthur.]

I hope I'm not intruding, but I think you may have missed something about romance in your blog.

Both the romance of the cup and the romantic nature of Scott's - well it would be a blog itself these days - joy; perhaps even Lynne's comment about the view from her work are, to varying degrees about sharing.

I think it is the togetherness and joint dreams of second division fans aspiring to beat the "big boys", or Scott's wonderful vision and love of the Trossachs combined with his fine ability to write and to describe a vivid picture of a place he wanted to share with others, they all have something in common, and that's the shared dream of the experience. Personally, I think it applies to Scott's writing, but not to the football as it's really quite a vulgar use of the word "romance", but that's only my own view.

Lynne has a couple of good points about the view and also its beauty to her (which demonstrates her wonder and personal fortune at looking out at such a view).

My points in all this rambling:

Don't be nervous.

There are others who want to share too.